By Michael Gruber, President, Building Industry Association of Stark & East Central Ohio
Our association brought another year to a close on Friday, Dec. 3 as we conducted our Holiday Open House at La Pizzaria. In spite of some lingering issues like COVID concerns, supply chain delays, and labor shortages, it has been a wonderful year with new home sales and remodeling still on the upswing.
We thanked our 2021 board of directors and officers for a job well done. Ours is an industry that still is getting on solid economic ground and we can use all of the help we can get. Our board members gave tremendous effort and advice in a lot of the important decision making regarding events and committees. We are grateful for their service.
We also swore in new board members and officers for 2022, including our President for next year, Holly Waldenmyer of Remodeling Remedies, Vice President Josh Hostetler of Hostetler Family Homes, and Secretary Treasurer Mike Thomas of Holmes Lumber. We are counting on these officers to keep us headed in the right direction and we thank them for stepping up to serve!
Many well-deserved awards were passed out to companies and individuals who have done so much to make it a great year for builders, suppliers, and consumers in 2021. Below is a list of those who received recognition at our event for House of the Year Awards and Member Awards.
House of the Year Awards
• Best Remodeling Project/Under $250,000: Infinity Homes & Remodeling
• Best Remodeling Project/Over $250,000: Fred Olivieri Construction
• Best Home – Less than 2,000 sq. ft.: Smith Homes
• Best Home – 2,000 – 3,000 sq. ft.: TIE – Charis Homes and Blythe Construction
• Best Condo: Roseman Construction
• Best Community: Augusta Lakes
Member Awards are determined by a vote of the members of our BIA to honor the dedication these individuals have displayed throughout the year. We’re very fortunate to have them lend their talents to us in a variety of ways. I want to personally thank and congratulate each winner for a job well done!
• Associate Member of the Year – David Dolan, Steve Struckel, and Ryan Grosschmidt of The Commercial & Savings Bank
• Builder Member of the Year – Dean Windham, Noble Homes
• Distinguished Service Awards – Patrick Hoch of B-Lee Electric Co. and Javan Yoder of Stark Truss
• Sales Person of the Year – Jennifer Gonzales, National Design Mart
• Material Supplier of the Year – Morris Flooring & Design
Our ceremony agenda also featured a very special tribute to many local women leaders of nonprofits and other entities affiliated with construction and shelter. Among the honorees was our keynote speaker Stark County Commissioner Janet Weir Creighton who did a marvelous job of defining leadership and explaining how to develop it.